BGR Bundesanstalt für Geowissenschaften und Rohstoffe

The history of the BGR – a brief outline

1873

The Königlich Preußische Geologische Landesanstalt is established in Berlin and is housed in purpose-built offices in Invalidenstraße 44.

1934

The Hannover office opens.

1939

The separate state geological surveys are incorporated into the Reichsstelle für Bodenforschung, which becomes the Reichsamt für Bodenforschung in 1941. The state surveys become branch offices (nine) or sections (four; one of them in Hannover).

1945

In the Hannover branch office of the former Reichsamt, attempts are made to reorganise and disentangle the national geological survey. In the territory of the former German Democratic Republic (GDR), the national Geological Commission (Geologische Kommission) - later to become the Zentrale Geologische Institut - is established, with its headquarters in the building that housed the former Reichsamt für Bodenforschung.

1948

In the Höchst Agreement and the Königstein Agreement the state geological surveys of the United Economic Zone (bizone) transfer transregional tasks (cooperative tasks) to the Hannover office.

1950

The Amt für Bodenforschung - responsible for Lower Saxony - is established in Hannover.

26.11.1958

Establishment of the Bundesanstalt für Bodenforschung from the existing Amt für Bodenforschung in Hannover by Decree of the Federal Minister of Economics on 26.11.1958 (PDF, 60 KB) (Federal Gazette No. 230 dated 29.11.1958) [Erlass des Bundesministers für Wirtschaft vom 26.11.1958 (PDF, 60 KB) (Bundesanzeiger Nr. 230 vom 29.11.1958).]

31.03.1959

Dissolution of the Amt für Bodenforschung in Hannover (Lower Saxony Ministerial Gazette No. 5 dated 31.01.1959 P. 80) [Nds.MBl. Nr.5 vom 31.01.1959 S.80].

17.01.1975

The Bundesanstalt für Bodenforschung is renamed to the Bundesanstalt für Geowissenschaften und Rohstoffe - BGR (Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources) by decree of the Federal Minister of Economics on 17.01.1975 (Federal Gazette No. 18 dated 28.01.1975) [Erlass des Bundesministers für Wirtschaft vom 17.01.1975 (Bundesanzeiger Nr.18 vom 28.01.1975)].

01.08.1990

The Anstalt für Geowissenschaften und Rohstoffe (AGR) is formed in the GDR from the existing Zentrales Geologisches Institut (ZGI).

03.10.1990

The AGR is dissolved and wound up by the end of 1990.

19.10.1990

The BGR's Berlin office opens in Invalidenstraße 44, Berlin.

2012Opening of the German Mineral Resources Agency (DERA) in the BGR Berlin office.

This Page: