Groundwater Protection and Sanitation
The UN proclaimed the year 2008 as the International Year of Sanitation (IYS). This aims at directing the public attention towards the large number of people that do not have access to sanitation services what leads to considerable health threats for these people. This lack of sanitation also provokes problems for the quality of groundwater resources, as dissipating waste water can pollute aquifers that often are important for the drinking water supply.
BGR is part of the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA), an alliance of international organisations concerned with sanitation aspects. As part of this initiative, BGR focuses on the relationship between groundwater protection and sanitation.
Activities and Outputs:
- Symposium to the International Year of Sanitation (IYS)
- Himmelsbach, Thomas: Groundwater Quality and Sanitation; Eschborn, 31.01.2007 (PDF, 276 KB)
- Factsheet Basic Sanitation and Groundwater Protection (PDF, 115 KB)
- Decentralised Sanitation and Wastewater Treatment. Revised 2nd Edition (PDF, 1 MB)
- Sustainable Sanitation and Groundwater Protection. Fact sheet, 08/2009 (PDF, 699 KB)
- Vaessen, Vanessa: Workshop on „Groundwater Protection and its link to Sustainable Sanitation and Town Planning" (PDF, 763 KB), 20th August 2011, 14th SuSanA Meeting, Stockholm, Sweden